“Baby Driver”

Kai Christiansen

Baby Driver is the new film from Edgar Wright (Hot Fuzz, The World’s End) and stars Ansel Elgort, Jon Hamm, Jamie Foxx, Elisa Gonzales, Lily James, and Kevin Spacey. From car chases to romance, from tinnitus to mute foster fathers, this film has it all. Except enough heart.

Wright’s films always reach a certain level of emotional levity in the third act and Baby Driver seems to fall a bit short. Now, that’s not to say that
this movie isn’t emotional, but the relationship between Ansel Elgort and Lily James feels slightly under-developed. In Wright’s other films, every emotional gut punch is perfectly fit in with character and plot development. The relationship in Baby Driver sometimes gets overshadowed by the heist plotline.
  The best part of this film is the action and soundtrack. Not a lot of films write sequences around a song, but Edgar Wright does it spectacularly. Each scene is well choreographed and often relies on long takes and practical effects, which is what sells the movie. In a movie of this caliber, tension is what can make or break it. Edgar Wright knows how to capture intensity on film and properly utilizing well choreographed action with music creates a unique experience.
  Not only is this film a splendid action drama, the writing is top notch. Once again, Edgar Wright has written a crisp and tight script that perfectly emphasizes the emotional and comedic beats. The pacing of the story is buttery smooth, making the almost 2 hour runtime feel more like an hour and a half. It doesn’t seem like much, but in an action comedy, pacing is a big deal.
  Once again, Edgar Wright has created a fantastic film that further cements his reputation as one of the best filmmakers alive right now. Although the film never reaches the same emotional heights that his other films do, Baby Driver is a must-see for everyone.
9/10

543 total views, 3 views today