Girls Lacrosse Picking Up Steam For Sections

The Trojans celebrate a 6-5 overtime victory against the Edina Hornets. Photo by Drew Smith

Drew Smith

Drew Smith

Shae Luedke, Senior Staff Writer

Wayzata Girls Lacrosse is currently ranked fourth in the
Lake Conference, ahead of Hopkins and following behind Eden Prairie, Edina and Minnetonka. The girls have a record of 3-9 so far this season.
  According to Junior Alyssa Storey, the season has picked up its pace, “The beginning of the season was a rough start for us because we basically got a brand new team.
  “We’ve been improving throughout the season and you can see it in our play and record,” said Storey.
  Although the team started off with nine consecutive losses, they are slowly making a comeback, as they have won their last three games. On May 11th, Wayzata was able to beat #5 in the state Edina in overtime. The winning goal was scored by Sophomore Emily Wisnewski. Wisnewski has had a total of six goals and seven assists this season, a strong effort by an aspiring sophomore.
  “I got a[n]… awesome pass by Ellie Ronning and just saw a lane, so I took it and it went in,” said Wisnewski.
  According to Junior Ashley Greenshields, her goal was an influential turning point in the season. “We had been waiting for a victory, and for it to be against the Hornets in overtime made it that much sweeter,” said Greenshields.
  Shortly after beating Edina, the Trojans defeated St. Michael-Albertville on May 16th with a score of 17-5. Senior Captain Ellie Olmanson said, “Through the season I believe that we’ve been playing well, and it’s rewarding to see that the scores of our games are beginning to reflect that. Edina was a huge win, and STMA only helped our confidence.”
  Junior Captain Cece Hartigan said, “A big win against St. Michael was exactly what we needed to click as a team.” Two days later Wayzata played Hopkins, winning with a close score of 14-12. “The past few games we’ve been playing at our level and full potential, which is shown in our three game winning
streak,” said Storey.
  According to Storey, the team is really excited about where they are, but need to stay focused to finish out each new game strong. As for the rest of the season, Hartigan said the team’s goals were to make it as far as possible, specifically to state.
  “It won’t be an easy battle, but I definitely think we have the potential to make it there,” said Greenshields.