“Everything Must Go”

Sam Lavely

Everything Must Go is one of Will Ferrell’s few successes in the non-comedy field, and is about as good as it can get considering a man everyone sees as a joke is trying to play a serious role. The movie centers on Ferrell who is having just about the worst week imaginable, getting fired from his job as well as being thrown out by his wife after he relapses. For the whole movie, Ferrell is living on his lawn with all of his belongings and trying to figure out what he’s going to do with his life, while throwing a “yard sale” to make it legal for him to be there.
  One huge surprise in the movie was the great acting of Rebecca Hall. She played Ferrell’s new, pregnant neighbor who is waiting for her husband to arrive from across the country. She contributed great passion and emotion for the entire film, and added a sense of genuine emotion, considering she acted as a normal person with problems, just like everybody, which is hard to do as an actor. Michael Pena played Ferrell’s AA sponsor as well as a detective at the police department, and it still makes no sense as to why companies are still hiring him to act, because he can’t. That’s all I have to say about him. Ferrell does a terrific job at playing a drunk per usual, although he seems to have issues with playing a serious role. Regardless, in this movie he does exactly what he needs to do, seeming confused and in a strange place (a non-comedy movie), just like his character.
  The script is simple, yet still entertaining. The only issue is that the viewer never gains any real resolution to the plot they have been handed. With such a script, it was fairly difficult to identify a real climax or, as stated before, resolution. That would be the main disappointment of the movie, that nobody knows what is going to happen to Ferrell’s character after the extended period of time we see him on his lawn, and that’s a very important detail that the writers left out to keep the audience intrigued. However, their attempt to keep the audience invested in the storyline only makes the viewer agitated that they don’t get a sense of closure to the plot.
  The film is also a bit monotonous, which doesn’t engage the audience, but is rather used as an artistic format to make the viewers relate more to Ferrell’s character. It’s an interesting choice, but not one that the audience necessarily appreciates. Viewers sit through the movie waiting for some sort of clear climax, but they never get it, because the movie truly is just Ferrell sitting on his lawn after having a terrible day. That is one of the main issues I found in the movie, considering looking back I could not point out a climax at any point unless we consider the very first five minutes of the movie a climax and the entire movie being a falling action and exposition.
  Overall, the movie is very dry and not something that most Ferrell fans would not enjoy. It surprises the audience by portraying a realistic situation in which the characters do a great job at portraying ordinary people, but the acting is not enough to take viewers away from the bland script as well as the overall boring feeling of the movie.
5/10

811 total views, 3 views today