Natalia Poteryakhin

“Untitled” composed by Natalia Poteryakhin. Photo courtesy of Natalia Poteryakhin

Maggie Reese, Staff Writer

Junior Natalia Poteryakhin won a Scholastic Art award and a scholarship to a three week summer camp at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design.
  “I was recognized at the State level, and received a separate full-ride scholarship to the MCAD summer camp,” says Poteryakhin. “One of the coolest parts was to see the work by other students at the award ceremony in the gallery.”
  Only three people from the entire state of Minnesota received this scholarship, according to Poteryakhin.
  “I’m most looking forward to getting to work out what I want for my art in the future at the camp,” says Poteryakhin.
  Poteryakhin’s portfolio contained both graphic and comic art. The first was a wordplay on the idea of “word vomit.” “That one was me barfing up dragons,” says Poteryakhin.
  The second piece was a comic label of talent. “It depicts talent as more of a burden than a good thing,” says Poteryakhin.
The summer camp will involve classes, lectures, studio practice and field trips, led by MCAD professors and professionals, according to Poteryakhin.
  Poteryakhin plans to continue her art career past high school. “My top college right now is the California Institute of Arts, because their animation and comic art program is extremely good,” says Poteryakhin.

796 total views, 2 views today