Carly Quast

Carly Quast

Carly Quast swimming for Wayzata swim team. Photo courtesy of Carly Quast.

Caroline Helmken, Staff Writer

Senior Carly Quast is one of the few students at Wayzata High School to be participating in a Division One (D1) sport for her college endeavors, said Quast.
  Quast started getting recruited by college scouts as early as July 1st of her junior year, and earlier this year, accepted the offer to swim D1 for the University of Notre Dame in Indiana.
  She notes that the recruitment process was “nerve racking, yet exciting.”
  She went on countless college tours to meet the coaches and see the different programs offered to determine where she would best fit in. Quast said that she finally narrowed it down to three college, Purdue University, Michigan State, and Notre Dame.
  The choice to go to Notre Dame came naturally to Quast.
 “Right when I went on campus at Notre Dame I just felt at home and meeting with the team, I just felt one of them. The coaches were so nice and everyone was really supportive, and that’s what I was looking for so I was just really happy about it.”
  Quast, who has been swimming since she was twelve, joined the team for Wayzata when she was in eighth grade. She went on to score a spot on the varsity team all four years of her high school career, according to Quast.
  Quast notes that swimming for Wayzata involved being apart of a really close knit team, “I really got to know the older girls and and I really felt apart of the team.”
  She also adds that the Wayzata tradition is very important, “I think that is one of the really amazing things about swimming for Wayzata, is that it’s kinda a legacy to be like as a team.”
  “Even if you are older, faster, you don’t see yourself as any different than the younger girls and you try and include them in everything and you’re really looking out for everyone on the team.”
  For Wayzata Quast participates in the 200 Freestroke, the 100 Backstroke, the 200 Medley Relay, and 400 Backstroke Relay.
  To help her along her swimming journey, Quast credits her off season club team, the AquaJets in Eden Prairie. Her AquaJet teammates and coaches were the ones who pushed her to the limits of her training and made it so that she could make it as far as she did.
  She also adds that her parents and family, especially her sister have helped be her best, “They are always supporting me no matter what, even if it’s hard sometimes and we have to travel long ways for meets. They are always willing to do that kind of thing for me.”
  When asked about her favorite memory while swimming for Wayzata she recalls that when the team won state three years in a row, “That was one of probably the best memories, especially my junior year. I was able to win both of my individual events so I knew that I was really helping the team and it was just awesome to see how everyone came together on the state team.”