Saee Patel

Saee Patel

Saee Patel with her octafinals award. Photo courtesy of Saee Patel.

Joe Kottke, Senior Staff Writer

Wayzata speech team made history this past month, taking their first trip to Nationals in Kansas City, Missouri. Saee Patel has been a captain of the team since her sophomore year due to achievements during finals as a freshman, which are unusual for ninth graders, Patel said.
  This year, Patel has been performing in the humor and pros categories. Pros is usually an excerpt from a novel filled with sorrow performed as a one man show Patel said.
  “I am going to nationals for my work on Sold, which is in the pros category. I love performing it because not only can I make people laugh in humor, but I can make people cry as well,” Patel said.
  Six members from the speech team went to the Minnesota state competition this year according to Patel, who was the only contender from Wayzata who finaled.
  Patel’s passion for speech derives from the ability to spread awareness to different topics, saying “speech is a way to convey different messages to people without simply yelling in their face.”
  Also the creator of the Wayzata student club, E.A.R.T.H, an environmental awareness organization for students, Patel enjoys performing speeches that bring insight to problems affecting our earth, such as her 2016 humor rendition of Calvin and Hobbes.
  “The piece’s storyline was Calvin and Hobbes’s journey to Mars and their realization that they need to keep the earth clean,” said Patel. “Don’t get me wrong, it was hilarious, but it always conveyed the message that Calvin saves the environment so you should too.”
  Accumulation of success at weekly tournaments during the winter and spring brought Patel, as well as her fellow Wayzata speech team member Ananya Shah to Kansas City for Nationals from May eleventh to May fifteenth.
  Nationals consists of octafinals, quarterfinals, semifinals and finals, according to Patel, and to advance to the next round, one needs to ‘break’ with their score.
  Both Shah and Patel advanced to octafinals in their respective categories of oratory and dramatic interpretation, said Patel.
  “Less than one third of the initial competitors make it to octafinals, so although we didn’t make it all the way, I am proud of our accomplishments,” said Patel. “My intention on going wasn’t for winning, but to see the best pieces in the country and learn how I can improve.”
  Patel’s advancement to octafinals also gave her a ‘bid’ for next year, allowing her to continue her career at next year’s nationals.
  According to Patel her experiences through Nationals have inspired her to continue speech through college and use what she has learned in her everyday life, saying “whether it’s a job interview or needing to convince a friend, communication with people is such an important skill that I have been fortunate enough to learn from the best in the country.”