First Place Feels Good

Deena Kassem and Katie Lins

On April 29th, 3 Wayzata High School Seniors won the title of DECA International Champions at Anaheim Convention Center.
  Tyler Haas (12), Gauri Binoy (12), and Dhruv Methi (12) won first place in Finance Operations Research. Kyle Woods (12) won second place in Hospitality and Tourism Professional Selling.
  The team’s project included a thirty page paper and a presentation on a new promotional strategy for SilverOak Wealth Management. According to US News, the company is an independent wealth management firm and Registered Investment Advisor.
  “The feeling of winning and coming out on top was just surreal and I’ll forever cherish the feeling I had while rushing onto the podium,” said Methi.
  DECA is an organization which helps to prepare students for careers in business, marketing, and finance. According to DECA Inc., the organization includes both high school and collegiate divisions from around the world and has 215,000 members.
  As for the reasons which why students joined DECA, many go beyond the simple response of college applications.
  Member Tyler Young (12) said, “I firmly believe that it’s the best way to prepare yourself for a career after high-school. Regardless of what you want to become, it teaches you soft-skills that are essential in any career field such as presenting, answering questions, and networking with professionals.”
  The event took place in Anaheim, California from April 25th to April 30th. According to DECA Inc., the High School Division includes 200,000 members in 3,500 schools. The Collegiate Division includes over 15,000 members in 275 colleges and universities.
  Many students of DECA joined for much more than the competition.
  “DECA has played a huge role in being a launchpad for my business career. It prompted me to get internships, work with mXers and heavily influenced my college and career plans,” said Senior Ben Grosse.
  As for the trip to California, members made sure to share the experience. “The whole event is really well run and it left plenty of time for people to spend time with friends and explore the area. We went to the beach for a full day and went to Disneyland twice all while having enough time to fully prepare for our event,” said Methi.
  One of Methi’s partners, Haas, also shared his views on the trip. “The best experience in DECA was going to Disneyland, the beach, and hearing ‘from Minnesota..!’ at internationals,” said Haas.
  Emily Bradach (12) said, “Overall, Anaheim was a blast and a great way to end my DECA career, even if I did not place. This is because when the competition came to an end, I realized my best memories were not the awards, but the connections and relationships I had formed with people from all over the country.”
  Along with the trip to Internationals, members of DECA were quick to express the impact which the club had on their lives.
  Kallie Klopfenstein (11) said, “Before DECA I didn’t have an idea of what I wanted to major in, however, DECA has given me many ideas of what I could pursue. It gives you real world experience while in high school.”

435 total views, 3 views today