Softball Improving With A Young Roster

Senior Amy Helseth winds up to pitch. Helseth was the Trojans ace pitcher last season. Photo by Kylie Bolter.

Sam Lavely, Sports Writer

Softball season is kicking off again this spring, and the team
seems to have a clean start after a rough season last year, which included an 11-game losing streak at one point.
  Amy Helseth and Megan Witchger are the only returning seniors. Helseth has been a great pitcher for the Trojans throughout her 3 years on the team, so hopefully she and Witchger can lead the team to a successful season. Helseth said, “Personally, I’ve enjoyed seeing such a big group of incoming freshmen. The program has had really low numbers the past few years so getting a big group of girls coming out has been really exciting for everyone. All of the upperclassmen are amazing and have done a wonderful job making sure that the underclassmen feel welcome, and that has built the team up.”
  The team also has a promising young star in Sophomore
Pitcher Mckenzie Murray, who is returning from last season as well. Murray is another solid and reliable pitcher to play behind Helseth, and with two reliable pitchers on the team, the Trojans may be able to shut down a few teams simply through pitching. Murray said, “I love getting the chance to get out on the field and help the team and it’s especially great when I’m able to pitch the team to a win.”
  The main competition within the section will be Hopkins
High School, who has started the season with a 5-0 record, including a 17-9 win over Wayzata. Last season, the Trojans lost to the Royals in both of their regular season meetings. They’ll play again on May 5th at Hopkins High School.
  The Trojans did not make it out of the section tournament last year, but the team has reshaped itself since last season. With only two remaining seniors, they will be playing with a younger team than they are used to. Said Helseth, “This year has really been focused on development and working together, I think that will really help the program take off next year.”
  The team is primarily made up of Juniors, but this year it also includes 6 underclassmen. The key to the team’s success going forward will be keeping a focus on infielding, considering the Trojans have allowed 44 runs in 4 games this season. This should be expected when playing with an inexperienced roster, however the underclassmen gaining experience will be invaluable throughout future seasons.

285 total views, 2 views today