Survivor Week Recap

Joe Kottke, 10, Kelsey Deering, 10, and Karma Llama, 12, deomnstrate excellent teamwork in the game of capture the flag. Their team tied for first place. Photo by Quinn Malisow

Quinn Malisow and Jordan Stephenson, Staff Writers

Survivor week started on April 17th kicking off a week long competition. Competitors competed in various challenges and battles while raising money for charity. Each night competitors were voted off or eliminated by poor challenge performances. This year there were fourteen students and one teacher competing.
  “I’ve always wanted to participate since freshmen year,” said senior Shaelie Olsen. “It seems like a fun challenge.”
  “I’m a huge fan of the actual show so I thought it would be fun to try out the school’s version,” said senior Bailey Atkinson.
  “I originally wanted to host,” said junior Garrett Gendreau. “However, Ms. Iverson suggested I should be playing this year instead.”
  “I was excited about the challenges and the opportunity to meet some of the upperclassmen,” said lone freshman Julia Barden.
  “It was fun meeting my fellow competitors, especially the underclassmen,” said senior Tyler Story. “Also, we played for a good cause.”
  On the first day, the teams travelled to downtown Wayzata to take part in a series of challenges. The first was the Ben and Jerry’s ice cream challenge. The teams had to eat the “Vermonster,” a container of ice cream with 20 scoops of ice cream. The eaters were given no utensils.
  “I was battling through frostbite on my fingers all week from the Vermonster challenge,” Gendreau said.
  The other two challenges of the day one was a fashion show and a capture the flag game.
  “I was most looking forward to capture the flag,” sophomore Joe Kottke said. “That was one of my favorite challenges of the week.”
  “I really enjoyed capture the flag,” said senior Emily Lyon. “It was fun to run around Wayzata.”
  At tribal council Team 3, whose members included Joe Kottke (10), Kelsey Deering (10), Karma Lama (12), Tyler Story (12), and Tony Hughes (12), accumulated the fewest points from the challenges throughout the day and had to vote one of their members off. In the end, senior Karma Lama was voted out.
  “I’m disappointed because I don’t know why I was voted out,” said Lama. “Maybe it was jealousy because I’ve already done so much this year.”
  Day two was headlined by the Blazin’ Challenge at Buffalo Wild Wings.
  “I was not thrilled for the blazin’ challenge,” junior Molly Laughlin said. “I’m not good with spicy foods so I was a little nervous.”
  Finishing in first place was senior Alex Ramler, who ate all 12 wings in two minutes and fifteen seconds, followed by Garrett Gendreau. This event was crucial for day two as both Ramler and Gendreau received immunity from being voted off that night.
  “The first eight wings weren’t a problem for me,” Ramler said. “I started to feel the heat around the ninth wing but I was able to push through it.”
  “The sauce numbs your tongue so you don’t really feel what you’re eating.” said Shaelie Olsen.
  The second challenge of the evening was Sloppy Scrabble. Each team had to obtain letters from baby pools filled with mayonnaise, tomato sauce, and dirt. Then, using the letters that were collected, each team had to make the biggest word they could.
  Team 3, whose members included Shaelie Olsen (12), Kai Christiansen (11), Julia Barden (9), and Joe Kottke (10), lost and was forced to vote someone off. In the end, Barden and Christiansen were voted off.
  After two nights some of the competitors were starting to feel the effects of staying and sleeping at the school.
  “I’ve been sleeping on the ground,” senior Tony Hughes said. “I didn’t get any sleep during the second night.”
  Day three began before the sun even rose. At midnight the contestants were awakened to compete in a race from the gymnasium to the new fourth floor A wing. To make matters more difficult, after the race each contestant was given a sheet of multiplication and division problems to finish in two minutes.
  “I think actually being there to wake them up by banging our pots and pans was a great idea,” said host Max Whitebread. “We wanted to make them hate us a little bit.”
  Atkinson finished first in the race while Ramler finished first in the math challenge, getting 94 problems correct. Junior Molly Laughlin finished last in the challenge and had shower privileges taken away for the week.
  During MyTime of day three, contestants had to take as many selfies with students as posible, which then had to be posted on Instagram or Twitter. Atkinson won the challenge with 55 selfies.
  All contestants competed in the gross food challenge just a few hours later during their lunch.
  “I’ve done the gross food challenge since freshman year just for fun,” junior Kai Christiansen said. “I threw up freshman year so I hope to do better this year.”
  Each contestant had to spin a wheel and eat the food the wheel landed on. Foods that were consumed includes prawns, squids, sardines, meal worms, quail eggs and more. The only contestants to not complete the challenge were Shaelie Olsen and Tony Hughes.
  There were a variety of challenges in the evening, the first of which was a dance competition, where Trojets came and taught the contestants a dance. The players then had to replicate the dance that was taught.
  “The dance competition was one of my favorite challenges,” said sophomore Kelsey Deering. “It required you to be good physically as well as mentally.”
  Other challenges during the night included a wheelbarrow race, a ping pong competition and a drawing contest where the contestants had to replicate a Wayzata Survivor poster that had been hung around each of the challenges.
  “The wheelbarrow race was really frustrating for me,” said Blum. “I was constantly falling, my arms were sore and I had burned up knees.”
  Points were allotted for each competition throughout the day based on how well each player performed in the challenges. Atkinson finished with the most points and was safe from being voted out. At Tribal Council, senior Grace Burnett played the Hidden Immunity Idol and was safe from being voted out.
  “I found it in the second floor office,” said Burnett. “Once I got destroyed in ping-pong, I knew I needed to use it.”
  Olsen finished with the fewest amount of points from the challenges and was eliminated. Later, Lyon, Story and Ramler were also eliminated.
At the start of day four there were eight competitors remaining.
  “I feel like I needed to get through,” said Atkinson, the winner of 5 challenges. “I didn’t expect to be good at all those challenges, and I feel like people were looking at me as a threat.”
  The challenges of the final day consisted of a lip sync competition, a hide and seek challenge, a pizza challenge and Egg Russian Roulette.
  During the Pizza Challenge, contestants were told to make a pizza for the person sitting to the left of them. Toppings for the pizza included pickles, marshmallows, cocoa powder, corn syrup and more. After all pizzas were made each person was told they actually had to eat their own pizza. Kelsey Deering was able to eat her pizza and moved on to the final day.
  The final challenge, Egg Russian Roulette, was the last chance to score a spot for Friday. Each contestant took turns grabbing an egg and cracking it on their head. The challenge came down to Laughlin and Blum with two eggs remaining. Laughlin cracked the final hard boiled egg on her head and clinched a spot in the final day.
  Gendreau and Atkinson also clinched spots by winning the hide and seek challenge.
  At tribal council, Kottke, Hughes, Burnett and Blum were set to be eliminated. However, Blum pulled out the hidden immunity idol and avoided elimination.
  For the first time since Survivor started there were five contestants going into the final day. Ms. Blum was only the second teacher to make it to the final day.
  On the morning of the last day, the contestants competed in an escape the room challenge and had to answer a series of riddles. Blum was the overall winner of those challenges and locked up a spot in the Final Tribal Council.
  Throughout the rest of the morning, the remaining survivors fundraised money for the charity, Fund-A-Need. The two survivors who collected the most money would claim the final two spots in the finals. Atkinson and Gendreau raised the most money and punched their ticket to the final three.
  At the Final Tribal Council, Gendreau was voted the winner with five votes to Atkinson’s four and Blum’s three. Gendreau won a $300 Visa gift card. Atkinson was voted fan favorite by the student body and won a $50 Visa gift card.
  “It feels pretty good to win,” said Gendreau, “It was quite a grind, but I’m glad I was able to have this experience. I never thought I would get this far.”
  “It’s a bittersweet moment, but it helps to win fan favorite. I’m very proud of myself and I’d do it again,” said Atkinson.
  “I’m proud of myself. I’m happy I did it. Cross it off the list,” said Blum.
  More than $1,000 was raised for Fund-A-Need.

470 total views, 2 views today