Baseball Gears Up Following A State Title

Wayzata alum Tom Skorro pitches in the state championship game last season. The Trojans won the state tile in a 9-1 blowout. Photo by Kylie Bolter.

Sam Lavely, Staff Writer

Senior Danny Deis hits a double in last season’s state tournament. Deis batted .400 last season.
Photo by Kylie Bolter.
Senior first baseman WIll Oberg dives to make a play on the bag. Oberg batted .298 last season. Photo by Kylie Bolter.

The varsity baseball team hopes to return to the top this year after bringing back a state championship last season. The team will be playing at Central Middle School this season, with the vastly new and improved Wayzata High School field still under construction. The Central Middle School fields are solid fields that the team has used before. They fill the league requirements as well as the team’s wishes for a good field. However, it has not been vastly renovated in a while, and is moderately outdated, which is why the new high school field is still the desired destination.

When asked about the construction, Coach Robert Dewitt said, “While we are happy to have a field like CMS, we are looking forward to playing on our renovated WHS field in 2018. For the coaches, the vastly improved drainage system is the best part, which will result in fewer games lost due to rain. For players and fans, the addition of lights will provide a new experience as we intend to play our varsity home games at night.”
  Returning key players from the state championship roster include Senior Danny Deis, who is a real threat to pitchers, with his versatile playstyle that allowed him to get 23 total
bases last year, along with 12 total runs. Chad Musser, Will Oberg, Peyton Gallagher and Tyler Young round out the returning seniors, all playing well last season. Oberg played an
important role in last year’s successes, playing well at first base and was also a consistently important hitter at the plate. He had 16 total bases on the season, and was walked 6 times,
almost always giving the team somebody on the field to hit home.
  The team has lost three out of their four ‘all tournament’ players from last year, keeping Will Oberg. Last year’s worst loss is arguably their star pitcher, Tom Skoro. Skoro was an
evident factor in the team’s success last year, specifically in the championship game, where he threw eight strikeouts and allowing only five hits. The loss of Skoro to Kansas State will surely cause some issues in the rotation, but hopefully the team’s strong work in the field can make up for it.
  When asked about the subject of college ball, Danny Deis said, “I’m definitely going to play college ball, I just don’t know where yet.” Tyler Young had a similar message, saying
“College ball is always the goal, but we’re going to focus on the season ahead and see where it takes us”.
  The season is fairly short this year, lasting only a month and a half from the beginning of the season until the first sectional games, with nine conference games thrown in the mix.

On May 5th, the team will play against Champlin Park, in a state championship rematch from last year.
  When asked about the team’s goals for next year, Coach Dewitt said “For the 2017 season, our ultimate goal is that the players have fun and create lasting memories with their teammates. It is our goal to make it to the section final every year, which we have done six of the last nine years. Once we get there, it will come down to execution and fundamentals.”