Exploring Accessible Art

Exploring Accessible Art

View in Venice—The Grand Canal, 1874,
by Edouard Manet. This work is not part
of the MIA collection and will only be on
display for a limited time. Photo by Brittney
Torguson.

View in Venice—The Grand Canal, 1874, by Edouard Manet. This work is not part of the MIA collection and will only be on display for a limited time. Photo by Brittney Torguson.

Brittney Torguson, Staff Writer

Reclamation by Melanie VanHouten at Franconia Sculpture Park. Photo by Brittney Torguson.

Looking around the Twin Cities, there are many places to explore various forms of art from more traditional work to theater performances. If you find yourself looking for somewhere new to explore, check out a few known favorites around town.
Minneapolis Institute of Art — MIA is perhaps the most well known place to see art in the Twin Cities. Founded in 1883, MIA has grown from 800 to over 89,000 works of art. These objects range from world-famous masterpieces to 40,000 year old artifacts. From Monet to Matisse, MIA connects the past to the present encompassing a wide range of work allowing everyone to find something that intrigues them.
Walker Art Center — While MIA has more traditional work, the Walker Art Center carries a modern, diverse perspective on traditional art. Walking from room to room, you find the focus put on the performing, visual, and media arts of our time. The Walker Art Center is among the top five most-visited contemporary/modern art museums in the country.
Minneapolis Sculpture Garden — Adjacent to the Walker Art Center is an expansive sculpture garden that contains one of the most iconic works in the Twin Cities, Spoon and Cherry. When the Garden opened in 1988, the New York Times immediately deemed it “the finest new outdoor space in the country for displaying sculptures.” Currently, the Garden is closed as new renovations are being made however once it reopens, it is definitely a place worth checking out.
Guthrie Theater — Founded in 1963, the Guthrie Theater is a center for theater production, education, performance, and professional training. Every year the Guthrie puts on many performances. Currently, their main show is A Christmas Carol for the holiday season. Not interested in seeing a show? The views of Minneapolis and the Mississippi River from their observation deck can be considered a work of art in itself.
The Frederick R Weisman Art Museum — Located in a striking stainless steel building, the Weisman Art Museum is located on the campus of the University of Minnesota. Their collection features early twentieth-century American artists such as Georgia O’Keeffe as well as selection of various ceramics and contemporary art. As a teaching museum for the U of M and the surrounding community, the Weisman always has something interesting to do and see.
Franconia Sculpture Park — If you’re up for an adventure with a unique art experience, check out Franconia Sculpture Park located in St.Croix River Valley. It is a non-profit, outdoor, 43-acre park that cycles in and out work from over 40 local artists. Franconia is an intriguing place where the artists invite you to explore and sometimes even climb on their work.