Educate Yourself

Jake Klaiman, Guest Writer

Jake Klaiman

Whenever people tell me who they are voting for, the first thing I ask is why.
The importance of being an educated voter in today’s society is often something we overlook. People often forget that we should educate ourselves on something that will affect us for the next four years.
Before you vote, make sure you have three valid reasons why you’re voting for who you’re voting for.
I don’t care if you vote for Trump, but saying, “he tells as it is,” or “he’s a fresh face in politics,” are not valid reasons. They have nothing to do with his policies.
I don’t care if you vote for Hillary but saying, “she’s not Trump,” is not a valid reason. Not only does this have nothing to do with her policies, but it also has nothing to do with her as a person.
Make sure you educate yourself holistically on an issue. For example, many people share Jill Stein’s views on college debt. Free college sounds great, but many people don’t know how she plans to do it.
She wants to use quantitative easing to get rid of student debt. Quantitative easing is basically when the government slowly prints more and more money to pump into the economy. This practice overstimulates the economy, creating inflation, and ultimately a depression. So in more common words, we print a lot of money, our money becomes useless, and it will be worth that of monopoly money. Infamous examples of this practice are Germany between the years of 1918-1933, France during the same time period, the 1790s, and 1815-1832, The United States in the Great Depression, and basically any other developed country that has experienced a depression.
So yes, Jill stein has, depending on your opinion, great views on college debt, but an uneducated voter wouldn’t realize that her plan would most likely cause another depression.
It is not just Jill Stein’s college debt plan. Trump’s deportation of the 11 million predicted undocumented immigrant deportation would immediately cost the U.S at least $381.5 billion according to Business Insider. According to the Tax Policy Center, Trump’s Tax Plan may increase the national debt by 80% in 2036, along with cutting the federal revenue by $9.5 trillion. So yes, Trump may be cutting taxes, but in the process, he will be creating a massive amount of debt in the process. Trump’s perceived reputation as a pristine businessman may just be a lie with the amount of debt stirred by only two of his platforms.
According to the Chicago Tribune, Clinton’s healthcare plan would cost at least $1.75 trillion in federal expenditures by 2026. According to PolitiFact one of her main platforms of eliminating college debt will cost $350 billion.
The United States has no more wiggle room for debt. We have a huge debt and adding more spending may not be the way to do it as of now.
According to PolitiFact, she wants to overturn Citizens United v. FEC, which basically ruled that independent organizations are allowed to promote whichever candidate they want, which is a form of censorship, which is not good. Citizens United was coming after her during the debacle, which is probably the reason why she is trying to overturn it.
As seen in an interview with MSNBC, Gary Johnson says he would eliminate “[the department of] Education, the Department of Commerce, [the department of] Housing and Urban Development.” In an interview with The Hill, he says he would also abolish the IRS. If he somehow gets elected and manages to get elected and destroy all of these federal agencies, the government just would not work, ever. It already does not work very well. Now imagine, trying to pass a law about healthcare with no access to medical professionals.
Even though this sounds nice at first, imagine security at airports without the Department of Homeland Security. Imagine how schools will be without the Board of Education. Yes, there are some problems with bureaucracies, but they also do a lot of help, so getting rid of all of them would cause way more problems than it would solve.
You need to educate yourself about the candidates, and weigh the pros and cons, and make the best choice from there. Don’t just go out and vote– go out and vote educated.